Saffron Road, What a Tasty Road to Travel

A few weeks ago, Saffron Road Foods was (again) kind enough to include me in a taste-testing of some of their newer products. I am excited that I have been seeing more of their items at our local Whole Foods but I am like a kid in a candy store- I get excited when the brown truck pulls up with a package for me. This time, even the kids were excited because they were frozen items and they got a kick out of the dry ice keeping everything cold....I am sensing that my family is just way too easy to please.

I received three tasty Chapatti wraps to try (Chicken Tikki Masala with Basmati Rice, Chana Saag and Keema with Chicken & Basmati Rice) as well as a Chana Saag entree. Yum, yum and yum! These were perfect for my recent hectic schedule because I truly was limited on time to cook.

The Chicken Tikki Masala with Basmati Rice wrap was my first experiment. Simply chicken,
basmati rice and spice. It was slightly hot as far as spiciness goes but it wasn't overwhelming. The flavor combinations were like a chicken rice burrito who married a touch of India, if that makes sense. It had a good combination of flavors and I was very pleased with the taste. I do have to admit that although wraps generally come in a limited amount of sizes, I wish this was slightly bigger...just a smidge!

The Chana Saag wrap was my next on my list. This was a combination of chick peas and spinach with spices. I do have to be honest and say that I was very skeptical on this one. My first thought was that it was VERY green and the overall texture was not as sturdy as the other wraps. I think the green was juts taking over my initial perception. But behold- it was really, really good! The flavor was nice and the mixture of spiciness was perfect. Definitely something I would have again.


See all of that green? It's tasty, don't judge!

My next tasty attempt was the Keema with Chicken & Basmati Rice wrap. This featured chicken,
scallions, red peppers and peas. Yes, peas....I did hesitate again but I am an adult and I forged forward. To me, this wrap was the most mild one out of the three and it had a tiny aftertaste of spiciness. As you can see, it was a hearty little wrap (minus my messy cutting skills).

My final tasting was the Chana Saag entree. This was a combination of chick peas, spinach and spices. It also comes with a side of cumin rice which I did not realize until after I opened the package and I had already prepared some quinoa. I mean, it does say it right on the packaging (silly me). I heated it up and it was another item that was chock full of greenery. But this time was easier to dig in since I already knew it would have a good chance of being good. Spoonful one- Mmmmmmm! Spoonful two- uh huh, defiantly yum! The only difference between the entree and the wrap was that the entree had a creamy aftertaste that I did not notice in the wrap.


I do want to make sure that everyone is informed and knows that the wraps do contain wheat and milk and the entree also contains milk. Being a Food Allergy Consultant, I want to do my best to keep everyone aware of the product labeling to avoid an allergic situation.

Overall, I have never had any bad samplings from Saffron Road Foods. Each product has always been a pleasant surprise as they are combinations that I normally would not try out when I am doing my own cooking at home. I am pleased that they are kind enough to include me when they are looking for some product feedback as I am always happy to oblige! To see where to find their products locally, please check their store locator for availability.



Comments