Is That a Rabbit or Are You Just Glad to See Annie's?


As you know, I get oober excited whenever I am asked to post a product review. (Oober, is that even a real word?!) You get the idea. So, of course I was thrilled when Annie's Homegrown contacted me and wanted to know if I would try out some of their new Gluten Free Granola Bars. Gluten free, an Oatmeal Cookie flavor and a Double Chocolate Chip flavor, it was pretty much a no-brainer. (winking, smiling).



I have to say, Annie's is always great about sending me a few samples. Which is good because very often, I will find a few missing form my pile and suspicious crumbs in the kitchen counter.

The first thing that I always do and I recommend that anyone should do is to read the product labels. As you know, everybody's allergies are different and label-reading can be a life saver. The Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookie Chewy Gluten Free Granola Bar ingredients include gluten free toasted oats (whole grain oats, organic cane sugar, canola oil, mixed tocopherols, which contains soy), tapioca syrup, rice crisp, raisins, palm oil, organic tapioca syrup solids, organic cane syrup, rice fiber, organic inulin, natural flavors, organic cinnamon, organic sunflower lecthin, sea salt and organic annatto extract (for color).  

Fast Fun Fact: What the heck are tocopherols? As per merriam-wbester.com, "Any of several fat-soluble oily phenolic compounds with varying degrees of antioxidant vitamin E activity."  

What Did I Think? This is difficult because I do love many of Annie's products and I am honored to have requests for product reviews. With this being said, I always stay true because, after all, that is also one of the points of having a product review, right? I will say that for me, personally, I was not too fond of the Oatmeal Cookie variety. It seemed a bit on the sweet side (so, again, it could just be me) but also, it didn't taste too much like an oatmeal cookie. My taste buds were waiting for that typical cookie-that-Grandma-baked kind of bar. What this reminded me of was more like a honey granola bar. Overall, the consistency was good, the size was larger than other allergy-friendly granola bars (a plus!), these would be great for a grab-no-go snack but if I was choosing, I probably would go for another flavor next time. Don't hate me, Annie's! I beg of you, do not send out those vicious, rabid bunnies to attack me at night for revenge!
photo courtesy 123rf.com
The Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Chewy Gluten Free Granola Bar was a different story- a story filled with love at first bite, of eating way too fast and of chocolate. This is the untold story of Annie's Double Chocolate Chip Chewy Gluten Free Granola Bar (gosh, say that three times fast!)  This granola bar was one that I hid away because I knew, just knew that they would be stolen in a nanosecond by either NutriDad or NutriDaughter (both are cute and would probably get away with it unharmed). But still, I wanted these for my very own. 

Yeah, Yeah, The Taste Please? This is a gluten free granola bar that I would eat again. These are not too sweet at all but perfectly chocolatey and crunchy. They are almost like a cross between a granola bar and a krispy treat meaning they have good consistency without being too solid (or, like many gluten free products tend to be like, cardboard). Easily able to be eaten in four single bites, these are a good snack to have just because. No other reasons needed. Who needs reasons,anyway? This is your house and you can eat if you want too. Ingredients for this item are gluten free toasted oats (whole grain oats, organic cane sugar, canola oil, mixed tocopherols (yup, there they are again!) which contains soy, tapioca syrup, rice crisp, palm oil, chocolate chips (cane sugar, chocolate, cocoa butter, soy lecthin, vanilla), organic cane syrup, organic tapioca syrup solids, organic inulin, rice fiber, cocoa, natural flavors, sea salt and organic sunflower lecithin.

Important Note: I did want to mention that both have an allergen warning that they contain soy and that they are made on shared equipment that also processes tree nuts. Just to be safe, I recommend that everyone contact Annie's for more information to ensure your safety. 

For more information on these products as well as a complete list of Annie's products, please visit them at www.annies.com or stop by their Facebook page and let them know that Nutrimom sent you.

As always, I would like to thank Annie's for allowing me to be a part of their product reviews, letting me give my opinions and for working with me to let others know about their great allergy-friendly products. Sending hugs, happiness and hares. 


~ The End



Comments