Halloween Allergies?

This post is because of NutriDaughter. It's been awhile since I posted.. what can I say- life happened but I still love and appreciate my food allergy community and I love being creative. This recipe idea is a product of a blogger's daughter. I have to say, my fifteen year old daughter has amazing snark and a super dry sense of humor that I am definitely taking credit for. Yesterday, she inspired me. And when I am inspired, I must create. Then. At that moment. Not tomorrow or next week. Like, within ten minutes I was grabbing my car keys and headed out the door for recipe supplies.

halloween scary pumpkins black white
Ohhh, creepy effect via IG
I am all about easy most of the time. I mean, who the heck has 60 hours to hang out in the kitchen.. seriously?! For those of you who do- all the power to you, love and blessings. I'm gonna be hanging here, on my couch, after my simple recipes and scroll through your feed while you are still in there. I may have slippers and fuzzy socks on while doing so. Don't criticize me if there are chocolate stains on my couch and don't tell me I'm a bad parent because I am not making every freaking thing from scratch- let us all just eat in peace, safely.

So, here is NutriDaughter's idea- our tried and true (borrowed) recipe for allergy-friendly version of Reese's eggs but in pumpkin shape. I have tried a few and found that my personal favorite is from Jazzy Allergy Recipes.

Here is her recipe BUT I shaped them into pumpkin shapes versus egg shapes. I found that it's simple- begin flatter, make an indent in the top with your finger, shape the form into an oblong apple-like shape and flatten the bottom just a little bit.

Chocolate Covered SunButter Eggs

1/4 Cup Dairy-free margarine
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1 Cup confectioners sugar
1/2- 3/4 Cup (1/2 jar) SunButter
allergies nut free dairy free chocolate1 1/2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 Bag safe chocolate chips (I recommend Enjoy Life Foods)
1 Tablespoon shortening

My addition- any safe, green candy for the pumpkin stem and eyes (optional) I used Sour Patch Watermelon Candy with the red area cut off. I recommend Surf Sweets or Gimbal's Fine Candies as additional options


  1. Microwave the margarine and brown sugar, stirring every 30 seconds until the margarine and sugar are melted together
  2. Stir in confectioners sugar, SunButter and vanilla
  3. Pinch off some of the mixture and use your hands to shape it into an egg shape (You can make them any size you like. My girls prefer them bite-sized so they can just pop them into their mouth)
  4. Place the eggs on a wax paper lined baking sheet
  5. When all of the mixture is used, place the sheet in the fridge until the eggs are thoroughly chilled
  6. Microwave the chocolate chips and shortening, stirring every 30 seconds, until completely melted
  7. Place the eggs, one at a time, into the melted chocolate
  8. Use a spoon or your fingers to roll and coat the eggs completely
  9. Place the chocolate covered eggs back on the baking sheet
  10. My addition- add the candy into the top for a stem and eyes (optional)
  11. Place the sheet back in the fridge until the chocolate is set
  12. Store the eggs, in between sheets of wax paper, in a covered container in the fridge
My recipe made 15 pumpkins


pumpkin Halloween chocolate treats

For those of you who are food photographers- yes, my chocolate was sweating and no, I did not fix it. This is real life people and in real life, chocolate sweats. Even more of a reason to eat it faster!

All in all, this Halloween treat is super easy to make, is very kid-friendly (as a mom, I am admittedly not great about sharing my kitchen space) and it's delicious. Dare I say, even tastier than the store bought brand that those with food allergies cannot have. Remember to share responsibly, wash your hands (just because it's safer to do so and ... not washing then eating, gross!) read labels and always ALWAYS carry two epinephrine autoinjectors. 

Wishing everyone a safe, happy and chocolatey Halloween






Comments