Yet Another Yummy Sampling!

Well folks, I am happy to report that I was pleasantly surprised with my most recent batch of Enjoy Life Foods goodies. I received two products- No Nuts Seed & Fruit Mix Beach Bash and No Nuts Seed and Fruit Mix Mountain Mambo. The packaging has been changed and, although I generally don't care about packaging, these do look more appealing. The newer packages are not as stark and they seem to have the look of a more natural item now.

Both of the samples were great, even alone. The Beach Bash contains sunflower kernels, pineapple, pumpkin seeds, cranberries and apricots while the Mountain Mambo has sunflower kernels, pumpkin seeds, raisins, apples, chocolate chips and cranberries. Both varieties were actually eaten plain, alone, by both of my picky children. That, in itself, should tell you they are good.

As always, when I get any new items, I try to think of different ways to use them. Sure, they are great for snacking but why just snack when you can SNACK? Don't get me wrong, I am all for keeping my children healthier, providing mostly non-sugary foods but I also know that everybody likes to have something as a treat every once in awhile.

One of the recipes I chose to try out was inspired by my children, who love Krispy Treats. Instead of using Rice Krispies, I substituted our store brand Crispix cereal and added in some Mountain Mambo mix to get Mountain Mambo Krispies


This is my way of having my kids get something healthy while still giving them their sweet item as well.

Recipe:
Baking Spray
3 tablespoons butter or butter alternative
1 package mini marshmellows
6 cups Crispix, Crispix alternative or any crunchy cereal of your choice
1/2 Cup Enjoy Life Not Nuts Seed & Fruit Mix of your choice (can add more, if desired)

Spray a glass casserole dish with baking spray and set aside.

Using a large pot, melt the butter on medium-low heat. With a plastic spatula, add in the mini marshmellows and stir constantly to keep the butter and marshmellows from burning. Mix until well melted. Remove from the heat and add in the cereal and the Not Nuts Seed & Fruit Mix.

Gently spread the mixture into the prepared pan and let it cool before cutting into squares.

And, as most of you know, Sunday is Pancake Day at our house. This Sunday, I walked downstairs and was suddenly excited when I realized that I could use the mixes in my gluten free pancakes! Believe it or not, sometimes pancake day gets a little...mundane. This brightened my day. Because of this, we now have an awesome recipe for Gluten Free Trail Mix Pancakes.

This is the "Before" picture:

and this was the "After". (Please don't judge the "After", she wasn't feeling as appealing as when she first started out!)

Recipe:
1 Box Gluten Free Bisquick
1 cup + your choice of Enjoy Life Not Nuts Seed & Fruit Mix
Milk of your choice
4 oz applesauce
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon lemon or orange juice
Ener-G egg replacer
1 teaspoon vanilla

Using an electric griddle, preheat the griddle to 300 degrees. DO NOT SPRAY OR BUTTER THE GRIDDLE.

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Mix until well combined. You may need to add more milk until you get the correct consistency. The batter should be thicker but not too thick- similar to cake batter.

Pour onto the griddle by spoonfuls. Gluten free pancakes do not bubble, so you will have to check the underside for browning using a spatula. Once browned, flip over.

Serve warm or leftovers can be refirdgerated or frozen. Leftovers taste best if they are reheated in a toaster oven, not the microwave (microwave will cause them to be rubbery).


I also tried both of the mixes on top of my yogurt, on top of ice cream and I mixed it into my oatmeal. I have to say, these are great! They have just enough crunch and a combination of flavors to be used in almost anything. The only unfortunate problem that I foresee is being able to purchase them locally. For some unknown reason, our local Whole Foods tends to carry my family's favorite items just long enough to get us hooked, then they discontinue them from their list of items to restock (boo!). But for those of you with access to your local store or your computer, I would definitely try these out.
















Comments