Antioxidants in a Tortilla?!

I was intrigued when I came across a new gluten free tortilla made by Food for Life. We have used their brown rice tortillas for many years so I was excited to hear about their Black Rice Tortillas. What's so great about black rice? Well, with all of the latest buzz revolving around "super grains", black rice is included in that category. Black rice contains fiber, antioxidants (as I mentioned), anthocyanins* and may even help prevent diseases such as cancer, diabetes and Alzheimer's.



*anthocyanins are ingredients that are capable of lowering the risk of heart attacks because it prevents the buildup of plaque in your arteries.

The Black Rice Tortillas have the same ingredients as the Brown Rice (brown rice flour, filtered water, tapioca flour, safflower oil, rice bran, vegetable gum (xanthan gum, cellulose) and sea salt) but the Black Rice have the added benefit of organic chia. Chia is high in protein and calcium, is supposed to give you a bit more energy, has high omegas, fiber and antioxidants (there's that word again!). For all of those people that question how you continue to get the necessary vitamins and calcium without dairy, here is a perfect example.

If you follow my blog, you know that I very often try to come up with recipes or ways to use the products. I do this because I like to think outside of the box, try to offer ideas to others who are stuck and have difficulty finding uses for their allergy-friendly products and, well, I just like to be creative. What came to my mind this time? Homemade taco shell bowls! I had the molds, had the ingredients and I have been craving a taco salad forever so why not? Here's the fast and easy way to make them- 


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 

Microwave a black rice tortilla for 30 seconds to make it more flexible and to be able to mold into the pan. Gently push the tortilla into the molded pan, being careful so as not to tear it. Fill it with uncooked rice to keep the shape in place. Place into the oven.

Watch the tortilla carefully as it hardens fast and will quickly burn. Once it has become crisp, remove from the oven and let it cool completely. Remove the rice and fill with your favorite ingredients. 



 I want to thank Food For Life for allowing me to do this product review for them and for giving us some great gluten free options to use.  For more information, please visit their site at www.foodforlife.com and check out their other products while you are there. 


Comments