Super Easy Lemon Tartlets

My son and I are lemon lovers. I must admit, I do still crave those mini lemon pies that my mother would get for me at the store. So in my quest to find something to quench that lemon pie craving, I came up with this recipe over the holidays. It may not be quite the same thing but the flavors are similar and I can say that it left my son and I with a satisfied belly.

Easy Lemon Tartlets
1 box Ener-G Powdered Egg Replacer
Baking Spray (we use Winona Pure Oils Sunflower)
2 Boxes Enjoy Life Foods Soft Baked Cookies (we use Snickerdoodle or Gingerbread Spice)

Prepare the recipe for Lemon Pie Filling as seen on the box of Ener-G Powdered Egg Replacer. The box states it takes about 5 minutes to thicken but I found I had to stir much longer, so don't give up). Let the filling cool completely in the fridge. If you add hot/warm filling to the pie shells, it will just leak right through.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Prepare a mini muffin pan with baking spray (it's best to squirt a small amount into each cup and then coat evenly with your finger). Set aside.

Remove the cookies from the package. Using a rolling pin or your hand (or, a jar covered in plastic if you don't have a rolling pin) gently flatten each cookie, trying to spread each one in three different directions to get an even oval shape.

VERY GENTLY, mold each cookie into each muffin tin space. They can tear easily so use a lot of care. They do not have to meet the bottom of the pan, you are just using the shape to mold the tartlet shells. Leaving them less attached to the inserts will also allow for easier removal. Bake for about 10 minutes and then let them cool completely. The shells will be soft when they come out of the oven- do not remove them, just let them cool. If you remove them too soon, they will still be too flimsy and they will fall apart.Once cooled, fill with lemon pie filling.

Now, you will notice that the pie filling doesn't look as bright yellow and "lemony" as a normal lemon pie (actually, it looks somewhat like a glob of petroleum jelly, ugh!) but I suggest adding additional toppings, such as lemon peels, powdered sugar, etc to make them more visually appealing. I promise they do taste good.


Keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days (shells begin to get a little mushy after that). Makes 24 tartlets.

Not a fan of lemon? Good news- this recipe also works by adding melted Enjoy Life Foods chocolate and other toppings (cherries, broken allergy-friendly candy canes, gluten free pretzels, etc). The best recipes come from using up what you have leftover in your kitchen.



Comments