"The Princess and the Peanut" Book Review

I had heard this lovely book talked about A LOT (always good things) but because my children are ..sigh..getting too old to read to, I did not seem to have a reason to go get a copy. And then, an opportunity arose and it appeared in front of my (much like the Princess in the book itself). I know it may seem silly for an adult to be exited over a child's book but I am a book lover at heart so to me, it was a special treat.

"The Princess and the Peanut",written by Sue Ganz-Schmitt is just utterly adorable, educational and captivating. I have to say kuddos to the illustrator because the pictures are fabulous! As an adult, I can appreciate the artistry but a child enjoys the vibrant colors and fairytale theme.

The story is a perfect combination of a sweet but not too sappy love story of how a prince finds his princess and what happens when she is exposed to a peanut. The use of a "little sword" aka epinephrine and a description of how it works is told in a non-threatening manner so that children reading it will understand the purpose but not be afraid of it. I especially love how the author incorporates the skin test with other factors, such as "three blind mice" and "witches". The story characters even mention label-reading and getting rid of the allergenic foods in the castle.

But my favorite part of the book was one simple line when the Princess asks the question that everyone who has been touched by food allergies asks "Why me?" The doctor responds "Ahh, but princesses are extraordinary, and extraordinary people have great sensitivities." I can think of no better response than that.

The author also includes information in the back of the book for common food allergy facts and definitions for those who are new to the world of food allergies. To purchase the book or to listen to the catchy theme song, please visit www.royallyallergic.com.

Sue Ganz-Schmitt, author

I recommend this book to anyone who has a child with food allergies, as a gift or even as a book to bring to story hour in schools to help raise awareness about food allergies. After all, aren't we all a little extraordinary so why not start with the sharing of a good book?






Comments