Food Healthy = Hormone Healthy

Back in 2013, I was approached by Valerie Johnston of Healthline who offered to write a guest post for my blog. Because of my own personal battles of difficult-to-diagnose symptoms and years of consulting with so many others that had similar things happen with their health, I felt Valerie's share of The Strong Link Between Allergies and Hormones was a perfect fit to try to explain why some of us need to take our health one step further for answers. As she so perfectly put it "Because the immune system and the hormone system are pretty closely related, when one changes, so does the other." Some of you may scoff and I've had a ton of people tell me that there is no evidence that foods and hormones are linked but as I tell them- there IS proof. I have and am living it. I have counseled people who are living it.

Then, I came across an article by Dr. Josh Axe, DNM, DC, CNS "The Definitive Guide to Foods For Hormone Health". It's one of those articles that you read and shake your head in agreement and then want to share it, screaming from the rooftops See?! I told you so!!! for those who are skeptical. I get that not everyone can understand when it doesn't happen to them but in the very least, be kind enough and open-minded enough to listen and consider what happens to others because some day, it may be you needing answers like these. And regardless of how you may have dismissed us before, we will be waiting to listen and help you when you need it. Still unsure of what I mean? Let me share a few excerpts from Dr. Axe's article:
photo courtesy of Healthline

  • "In some cases, medications might mask the symptoms of hormonal problems and not address the underlying cause."  Why is this important? Because when your body is not functioning well, it also begins to become hypersensitive to other things, such as medications. Often this leads to a new set of symptoms that are difficult to identify.
  • "If your diet doesn't supply enough energy or "materials" to make all the hormones you need, it'll prioritize production of stress hormones first because they're essential for survival." This was a dead-ringer for me personally... two years, $10,000 of unnecessary medical bills, procedures and prescriptions because doctors kept telling me it was stress. Never be afraid to question anything that you feel is not in your best interest.
  • "When the immune system is overactive due to high stress levels, genetics, or an inflammatory diet, you may develop autoimmune reactions as your body attacks its own tissue or glands." This statement alone is all the proof that I need for those who tell me food intolerances are not a real thing. As I've stated before just because food intolerances are not life-threatening, it doesn't mean they are not life-altering.  
Now is the part when most of us read the article but say I can't do this, it's too difficult and I get it- I was one of those people too. Luckily Dr. Axe includes the foods that should be on your shopping list, tips on healthy eating and sample menu ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks (very similar to my food allergy consults- great minds think alike!). Not only is this helpful but it's crucial- the foods that you put into your body can literally be what makes you feel better or worse. If you feed yourself the inflammatory foods, your body will not get well. The truth is- when we don't feel well and we aren't getting answers quickly enough, we need someone to point us in the right direction. Especially when we are at the point of being stressed, easy is the best thing until our body equalizes and we can think a bit more clearly again.  

You can read the entire article written by Dr. Axe here as well as find out more on his website and other social media pages on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube



Comments