Allergy-Free Pick Up Stix

I have to admit, when it comes to thinking of different ways to use allergy-friendly products, I am borderline addicted to it. Perhaps I have some undiagnosed form of O.C.D., maybe it's a mental escape from the humdrum of everyday recipes or maybe it's just something that keeps my brain alive. Whatever the reason, I enjoy it and I am always excited when I wake up at 4 AM, startling my husband and saying "I have an idea!". This is my new thought process and I just go with it. However, this is often difficult to explain to a company that approaches me for ideas. It doesn't look professional at all.

Example
Allergy-friendly company: "Nutrimom, we would love to hear what kinds of ideas you get when you see our products! We've seen what you've done  in the past and would love to know what you have in mind for us as well."

Me: "I have no clue.".....crickets. Fast forward to me trying to explain and still sound professional that I cannot pre-plan anything- my brain works the way it works, I am used to it and they need to just trust me. I am lucky enough that these companies do just say ok.

My Latest Recipe Ideas
Last year,I attended a Gluten and Allergen Free Expo in Georgia (pics here!) and I first tasted Smart Flour Foods gluten free pizza....oh my GAWH!!!! My family and I quietly circled the booth many times in an effort to eat as much of it as we could without looking tacky. Then I broke down and introduced myself to one of the company peeps so, of course, I then instructed my children to ask for more samples. You know how kids can be!

My first few recipes were fun to do (click HERE and HERE if you missed them) but recently, I had another ah-ha moment so off to the kitchen I went. What else can you do with a gluten free pizza crust? How about some Smart Stix! I came up with five varieties but obviously, the possibilities are endless.


Buffalo Pretzel Stix
Defrost a package of Smart Flour Foods pizza crusts and slice into thin "stix". Preheat the oven as directed on the package and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Simply spray generously with Winona Pure Popcorn Butter spray and sprinkle with crushed Glutino Buffalo Style pretzels. For a spicier version, add a touch of cayenne pepper. Bake until crisp (approximately 8 minutes) and store for up to 2 days in an airtight container. I will mention that they are very crunchy so do not overcook them.

*Mom Tip- You will have pretzel crumbs leftover on the baking tray- don't throw them away! Save them and use them for a yummy gluten free coating for chicken, fish or whatever else you need too.

Chocolate Biscotti Stix
Defrost a package of Smart Flour Foods pizza crusts and slice into thin "stix". Preheat the oven as directed on the package and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. *Optional- Winona Pure Popcorn Butter spray and sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar. 

Allow to cool, then melt allergy-friendly chocolate chips with a squirt of sunflower oil in it. Dip half of the stix into the melted chocolate and place onto waxed paper to cool. 

Birthday Biscotti Stix 
Need a fast, allergy-friendly grab and go option? Follow the cooking instructions for the Chocolate Biscotti Stix above and add your choice of sprinkles after you coat them in chocolate. 

Allow them to cool completely while you silently lick your fingers clean of the chocolate and sprinkles that happened to get stuck to your fingers.

Coconut Cluster Stix 
For those who love the combination of chocolate and coconut- can we get a gluten free yay as well? AND, because Smart Flour Foods crusts contain antioxidants, protein and calcium, it's like a power-packed treat. 

Smores Stix 
I will admit, these stix do take a bit more concentration but aren't they just the cutest things?! Repeat the process for the Chocolate Biscotti Stix an add half of a jumbo marshmallow (Dandies may be an option). 
*Optional Smart Smiles- Then, using a toothpick, dip one end into the melted chocolate and draw the adorable Smart Flour Foods logo guys. 

Unsure of Your Favorite Stix? Good news- why not have your own personal smorgasbord and have a container of a mix-n-match? A little bit of sweet, a little bit of spicy and a little bit of salty but all allergy-friendly.

As always, I will remind everyone to think outside of the box- rethink, reuse and rediscover your foods. The only one stopping the possibilities is you. In a world among food allergies, foods should be celebrated and my goal is to continue to show everyone the possibilities to do so.

Happy munching~



#SmartStix
















Comments