Are You an Allergic Traveler?

One of my favorite things about what I do are the people that I meet along the way. I have been blessed to become friends with so many people over the years and I continue to be amazed at how much love and support can be found within our food allergy community. I always tell people that the food allergy community is like extended family members that you never knew you would meet. They are there and ready to help, regardless of what time and where. With the power of the internet, there is very little doubt of having trouble finding someone to help you through when you are dealing with a difficult or stressful time.

food allergy traveler dining cardsAlong my journeys at events and expos, I met Tarah Jakubiak of Allergic Traveler. What began as a new blogger relationship has turned into a lifelong friendship that I cherish. Not only does Tarah have my back but she also has the absolute best sense of humor and is so down to earth. For those of you who don't know her, Tarah has food allergies herself. She began her company Allergic Traveler to ease the worries of those traveling with food allergies. Tarah's international dietary alert cards are an easy way to have clear communication with chefs all around the world. Because I admittedly am a person who has fears of my son traveling with multiple food allergies, I thought it would be a great idea to share a bit about Tarah with all of you.

  1. How old were you when you had your first food allergy reaction? When I was an infant. It was breast milk. I was rushed to the hospital because I was turning blue!
  2. Is there anything that you have become allergic to as an adult? Yes! Soy, garlic, sesame, chicken, pork and corn.
  3. Tell us about your business Allergic Traveler. Allergic Traveler chef cards were founded to help those traveling or eating out to be able to communicate their dietary restrictions with ease in more than 18 languages. 
  4. Have you ever had an allergic reaction while traveling? If so, please share the details and how you handled it. Yes... lots of times. There are so many stories that I could tell. Specifically, when I was on my honeymoon and I could not eat anywhere as the main staple to the Portuguese diet is seafood and pork. I was starving the whole trip! I ate nothing but green tomatoes (raw). Finally back in Lisbon, I found an Indian restaurant. I typically can eat Indian food. I did everything I was supposed to. I went to the restaurant before it opened. I worked with the chef. I explained all of my allergies and spoke about cross contamination. Halfway through the meal, I was having a reaction. We were walking back to our hotel room when I could no longer walk. My brand new husband had to carry me the rest of the way. Once we were back at the hotel, I sat in a bathtub full of ice and was pumping cold water down my throat. This was prior to Allergic Traveler being founded, I had no epinephrine nor Benadryl. I did not want to go to the hospital as I was flying out the next day. Once I returned to Canada, I called the restaurant to figure out what went wrong. Turns out, it was shellfish oil.
    allergic traveler dining dietary cards
  5. Do you have the same reactions to all of your allergens? Absolutely not! With some, it's rashes while others I stop breathing. Others, I get a swollen lip, stomach ache or pass out.
  6. Is there one food that you wish you could eat? Nope! I do not know what I am missing. 
  7. Are there any food allergies that you have outgrown? Yes, milk.
  8. Do you carry epinephrine and other medications. Now definitely, yes!
  9. What are some tips to traveling overseas with food allergies? Know your allergens in the foreign language, carry Allergic Traveler cards and find out if your medicine is available in the country you are visiting.
  10. Have you seen the amount of people requesting your allergy dining cards increase (along with the rise of food allergies)? Most definitely! While I am not thrilled that allergies are on the rise, I am thrilled that more attention is being brought to our cause. Sales for Allergic Traveler have been growing steadily since it's inception in 2011.
  11. What is your favorite meal? I love food that is simplistic. Not a lot of ingredients. For instance, Tabbouleh salad or grilled snapper.
  12. If you could tell your younger self anything, what would it be? Embrace your allergies. They are what make you...well, YOU! And you will meet some great people along the way battling the same battle that you are. 
Are you dining as safely as you can? Being prepared and having your lifesaving medications is only a part of managing food allergies while eating away from home. Don't let the possibility of language barriers keep you on edge and don't leave your life up to chance- there is only one you. Order your personal dining cards here. Whether it be your neighborhood hot spot or a trip to a new destination, have all of your allergies covered so you can enjoy your food.

Where can you find Tarah? Visit Allergic Traveler on the web, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and LinkedIn. Be sure to check our her blog page or get in touch with her via email with any questions that you may have. 



Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing my story with others. I appreciate the years of support. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, so glad we met so many years ago at one of the events!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you! Your comment is awaiting moderation