Your Foods Should Prevail

Does anyone else remember when you could get good old fashioned jerky? You know, the kind that would break your teeth and you had to basically suck on it to be able to sort of eat it? As a kid, I loved it. As an adult, I worry that I will make unnecessary trips to the dentist and have to get fake teeth. Luckily, I was introduced to a product that both brought back childhood memories and helped me keep my teeth (and stomach) happy. Ladies and gentlemen, I am talking about Prevail Jerky 

Gluten free beef jerky snack

Prevail Jerky offers four products- Original, Lemongrass, Spicy and Umami.  They use 100% grass-fed beef with no antibiotics and no added hormones, nitrates, soy, GMO's or gluten and they are both paleo & keto certified.  I do warn that their products contain coconut. When they reached out and asked if I would give them I try, I was more than happy to oblige. So what happens when a blogger gets four bags of treats? She digs in, takes photos, shares thoughts and, of course, shares a new recipe!

    organic grass fed beef snacks
    Original There is no other way to describe this and this is not meant to be disrespectful at all-in my opinion, this tasted like meatloaf. Let me explain so it doesn't sound like I am so weird. I like meatloaf and it is a smell and flavor that gives me comfort, reminds me of chilly days and good smells in the kitchen. So when this hit my tongue with a subtle tinge of sweetness, I was surprised in nothing less than good ways. Ingredients are 100% grass-fed and grass-finished beef, water, organic coconut sugar, organic coconut vinegar, sea salt, organic garlic, organic matcha tea, organic ginger and organic cardamom.

gluten free beef snacks Non-GMO
Lemongrass
This was a surprisingly light, mild tasting jerky that has the tiniest hint of smokiness. This may be, in my opinion, the introductory jerky for those who are unsure if their taste buds are built to love beef jerky. Definitely still a snack for meat lovers but in a "let's not go overboard" way. Slight citrus accents mixed with a just a tad of garlic and lemongrass which you typically don't find in a beef jerky treat. Loving the outside of the box flavor thinking Prevail! Ingredients are 100% grass-fed and grass-finished beef, water, organic coconut sugar, organic coconut vinegar, sea salt, organic garlic, Sichuan peppercorn, organic matcha tea and organic lemongrass oil.

Spicy OK, this was the jerky that made me eat my own words, literally. I am a person who likes hot, spicy foods. This product is sneaky- it starts out with a great taste and just as you say "This isn't spicy" it kicks in and wow! Not over the top hot but will give your tastebuds something to think about. Ingredients are 100% grass-fed and grass-finished beef, water, organic coconut sugar, smoked Morita peppers, organic coconut vinegar, sea salt, organic garlic, organic matcha tea, organic ginger and organic cardamom.

spicy protein beef snacks

Umami This smells a bit tangy, sort of like stew? The taste is mild but smooth (if that makes sense... if I am making sense, we are all in trouble). I found that all of the flavors were subtle and I felt as if the visual spice ratio on the jerky was seen more on this particular item. Ingredients are 100% grass-fed and grass-finished beef, water, organic orange juice, organic coconut sugar, organic coconut aminos (organic coconut sap, sea salt), organic coconut vinegar, sea salt, organic sesame oil, organic garlic, organic matcha tea, organic ginger and organic red pepper flakes.

Some of my random thoughts and recommendations as a blogger These are not meant to be negative criticism but rather consumer thoughts- 

1) Consider a larger portion in your packages... people are hungry and if you have children, this bag is not going to be enough to share. Flash forward to all moms hiding in the pantry with their favorite
love your food protein snacks
snacks.

2) Consider clear packaging or, in the very least, a clear "window" as seen on the back of your products. Visual is key for consumers, especially hungry shoppers. I personally am far more tempted to purchase a product that I can see versus one that I cannot.

3) That's it, continue reading my amazing product review.

Recipe Time! One of my favorite things to do with product reviews is to try to create a recipe other than what most people may consider. I want everyone to love the foods that that can eat and learn how to rethink their products. Prevail Jerky and readers, may I present my remake of

1 Cup your choice of PrevailJerky (I used Umami)
4 Tablespoon dairy free butter of your choice 
4 Tablespoons of gluten free flour 
½ Teaspoon dry mustard 
¼ Teaspoon pepper 
2 Cups dairy free milk of your choice, unsweetened 
Optional- gluten free toast

Prep Time:          8 Minutes 

 Cook Time:         8 Minutes

dairy free chipped beef recipe
  1. Break up the Prevail Jerky into smaller bits and put aside
  2. In a medium pot, melt the butter 
  3. Using a whisk, stir in flour, mustard and pepper  
  4. Cook for 1-2 minutes  
  5. Slowly add milk, stirring until thick 
  6. Add in Prevail Jerky  
  7. Serve immediately

 Makes approximately  2 servings

A weird conversation that I had to share just because So, can we talk about the term "grass-finished beef" for just a moment... I Googled it but my first response to my daughter was "This term sounds disturbing to me." NutriDaughter piped in "Like a cow horror film?" YES! This is so not the explanation as per Google but ugh.... my mind is what it is, please just love my creativity, both light and dark.

grass finished beef protein snacks

Thank you Prevail Jerky for sending out your goodies to me and for being patient through my creative process. Overall, I found your products enjoyable, a nice surprise (again, softer jerky is amazing as you can just bite right in) and I am so happy to see a company that is offering consumers products that are loaded with goodness and eliminating the junk. In the simplest of terms, as explained on their website: 


"Our mission is simple: To create a snack that's as pure as it is tasty.

We are committed to making clean eating on-the-go as accessible and delicious as possible. That's why we craft our jerky with you in mind- the health-conscious snacker. Each batch of PREVAIL® is made with only the best 100% grass-finished meat, allergy-friendly ingredients, and a serious love for jerky. So no matter where you are, a dose of flavor and protein is never out of reach."

You can find them on the web, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook

Prevail grass-fed beef snacks

I received free product for my review. As always, I never charge for my product reviews as my thoughts and opinions are honest and my own.

Comments